What gives you confidence? What makes you feel fantastic, like you could take on the world with your head held high? I’m not talking about that egotistical or arrogant confidence. It could be a quiet confidence that brings a sense of calm to your body and a smile to your face when you think about life.
It’s normal to lack confidence sometimes but what do you do to boost it back up?
For one of my fellow Bloggers, it’s all about the materialistic stuff. Makeup, jewellery and clothing made up her recent list of the 5 things to make her feel more confident.
Each to their own. If that’s what floats her boat then so be it. But that’s not exactly realistic or sustainable, in my humble opinion. To live a genuinely fearless life you love, it’s important to build sustainable confidence. Confidence that won’t disappear once your lipstick fades or your jewellery comes off.
I’m all for adding a little somethin’ soethin’ to make you feel fantastic. I’ve worn my favourite shirt to a job interview, my favourite bracelet to a photo shoot and my favourite lipstick on the first date with my (now) husband. But that was just the external stuff and I’d like to think I got the job, the contract and the man with my own confidence, not because of the other stuff.
So while I agree with this Blogger in part, I wanted to extend her list a little further.
Here are five things that make me feel confident on a more permanent basis, after any makeup is removed and any jewellery or fancy bag are gone. These things can’t be bought, applied at a beauty salon or worn out to impress.
- THE RIGHT PEOPLE – Having the right sorts of people around you is vital to building your confidence over the long term. You won’t build sustainable confidence if you’re surrounded by toxic people who never support your fearless ambitions. I’ve been there and it really sucks!
- PASSION WITH PURPOSE – Making time for passions that align with your true purpose is another great way to naturally boost your confidence over the long-term. When you feel like you’re pursuing your true passion and purpose, it gives you confidence that life is heading in the right direction.
For me, this includes writing. I’m crazy passionate about it and it aligns with my purpose help other women (and some men) Find Fearless Freedom. Does your current career or relationship give you that fearless confidence to take on the world?
- MOVEMENT – Get some physical activity in any way you can. It doesn’t have to be for long and it doesn’t have to be overly strenuous. Physical activity can release endorphins and create a shift in mental attitude and an increase in confidence that extend far into the future.
- ACKNOWLEDGING WEAKNESSES – This may seem counter-intuitive but it really does help to build confidence. There are things I either can’t do or am really bad at. Instead of letting those things destroy my confidence, I simply acknowledge them for what they are, making it easier to move on. Focus on the things you can do instead!
- CELEBRATING ACHIEVEMENTS – You needn’t wait for the really big accomplishments to give yourself a metaphoric pat on the back. Celebrate all of the tiny wins throughout the day. You met a work deadline early? You finally sent that stressful email? You did something small outside of your comfort zone? Way to go!!!
It’s time to roar! What sort of things do you do to keep your confidence up over the long term? I’d love you to share this if there’s someone you know who needs a few ideas on building sustainable confidence.
P.S. Don’t forget to join the Pride and receive a free copy of Find Your Fearless – Simple Steps To A Fearless Future